What is Laser Cutting?
CNC laser cutting; is a kind of metal processing method made with CNC machines. It is a cutting technique in which stainless steel, aluminum, and sheet metal materials are easily and quickly processed and shaped thanks to CNC machines and laser optics. Laser cutting is a mass production technique. Because with the codes entered into CNC machines, laser cutting machines can process sheet metal quickly and perform many operations together in a series that human power cannot do.
GET A QUOTE
In addition, since CNC laser cutting is done through codes, the error rate is zero. We recommend that people who want error-free and smooth work prefer CNC laser cutting. In addition, CNC laser cutting is a low-cost cutting method.
Wouldn’t you like to manage your projects with a cutting technique that is both mass production, low cost and has zero error rate?
Basic Principles of Laser Cutting
Laser cutting, which is a common process of cutting and separating many materials, is a very fast and professional machine. Very high-temperature laser beams hit the surface of the material, completely melting the area to be cut and forming a mold. So we can say that the laser cutting process is a thermal separation process.
These are the general principles of Laser Cutting;
- It has a very fast working capability,
- Perfect product manufacturing,
- It can be applied to many different materials,
- It is a one-step process.
You can obtain flawless products with laser cutting. Because, thanks to the superior technology used in the CNC laser cutting process, the surface quality and edge quality of the products processed in the laser cutting machine are quite high. With laser cutting, which is a big step in reducing the labor cost, 1 worker can do the work that 10 workers can do, using codes alone.
Laser cutting is one of the most used mass production technologies in recent years. How does laser cutting work and what is laser cutting used for? You can find useful information about this technological cutting technique, which reduces human working power and reduces individual production errors to zero.
Laser cutting which is very successful at cutting complex shapes, provides great flexibility, accuracy, and the highest quality. The clearest answer to the question of what is CNC laser cutting is PERFECT MASS PRODUCTION.
What is laser cutting used for?
These machines are perfect machines with fewer maintenance requirements and work with no additional apparatus. The failure rate is minimum and provides high efficiency by diminishing human workload.
Cutting edge technology laser cutting machines require almost no human control. These autonomous machines also provide workload efficiency and decrease costs.
CNC processing is a manufacturing method in which computer-controlled programs control the production period. These CNC programs that use CNC software can control everything from the movements of the machine to the speed, turning the cooler on and off, and much more. The computer language used to program CNC machines is called “G-code”. To make it easier, the g-code is rarely written by hand. Instead, visual programming tools called cam software are used to generate the g-code.
Laser cutting CNC machines and laser optical is a technology that is used in industrial applications, generally on hard metals such as stainless steel or metal sheets. Laser cutting was used for industrial purposes at the beginning, but today, it is also used for hobby craftsmanship works (paper, wood, or plexy cutting).
The laser cutting technique is capable of producing high-quality edges and high-strength surfaces for the perfect end products. Because of these abilities, laser cutting is a very efficient method that diminishes human workload and increases production speed.
CNC machine is a technological machine that works with the software or codes, meaning Computer Numerical Control. These codes and the molds that are used in the process provide to happen the laser cutting process in a fast and perfect way. This is the answer to the question of what is CNC laser cutting.
The most common software programs that are used to prepare these codes are Autocad, SolidCam.
Now as we answered what is laser cutting, we can talk about how to do laser cutting.
How does laser cutting work?
The material which is going to be cut is placed inside the CNC cutting machine as laminated. These materials can be different, such as wood, iron, metal, or others. CNC cutting machine makes the cutting perfectly with the commanding codes. In the end, there will be a high-quality project with these optical cutting devices that no human force can do.
These laser cutting devices, which are also known as industrial laser cutting, are generally used to cut sheet materials, but it is also possible to cut pipes with this machine. Here we place a laser cutting video for you to watch. So, what is a laser cutting machine, and what are its basic features?
What is Laser Cutting Machine?
CNC Laser cutting machine is a type of CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine, that is, it is controlled via a computer. AutoCAD and SolidCAM programs are frequently used for a CNC machine to generate code. A designer can design something in some type of design software and then send it to a CNC laser cutting machine to be cut automatically at the push of a button. When a design is submitted to a laser cutting machine, the machine uses a laser beam to cut or engrave the material in the cutting bed.
How does Laser Cutting Machine work?
- It is possible to manufacture and mold so many industrial products.
- You can place patterns on the products.
- Different decorative patterns are possible to install.
- You can make 3D models with them.
- Office goods, frieze, magnet, key holder, and souvenirs are some final product examples of laser cutting.
In Which Areas Are CNC Laser Cutting Used?
Laser cutting machines are a great versatile tool because they can be used to make so many different design styles; CNC Laser cutting is used for everything from cardboard prototypes to scanned artworks. Laser cutting machines, which can cut metals and much thicker materials, are primarily used for cutting wood, some plastics, and materials such as paper and cardboard.
- Metal / Sheet Metal / Aluminum
- Stainless steel
- Wood (Hobby Crafting)
As you can see, there are many types of materials that can be processed with a CNC laser cutting machine.
CNC Laser Cutting Process provides;
- The use of the material in the most efficient way.
- It is a fast production method.
- No requirement for a mold in small quantities of products.
- Decrease the costs with the minimum loss of materials.
- Sheet material production is more economical than machining.
- High precision cutting ability on dimensions.
- No scratch on the surface capability because of contactless production. The products will be ready for mounting when manufactured.
- It is possible to stamp the brand or write on the sheet.
- No deformation based on burr or heat on laser cutting surfaces.
- Minimum burr or deformation at the product after laser cutting.
- Low-cost and easy-working advantages on prototype modeling.
- No crushing or deflection at the product because of the contactless production.
- Flexible working capability at designing period.
What can be done with a laser cutting machine?
Many operations can be done easily with a CNC laser cutting machine without the need for an additional cost or additional technology. Because the error rate is zero and does not require repeated processing. If you want to use machine power instead of manpower in production, you should prefer the CNC laser cutting method.
What can be done with CNC laser cutting machine;
- Mass production can be made by removing the mold of industrial products. (auto parts etc.)
- Pattern and marking can be done on the cut material.
- Decorative and aesthetic-looking products can be obtained.
- 2D and 3D cutting techniques can be used.
What are the methods of Laser Cutting?
- Melt and Blow: In this method, the material is heated up to the melting point. Then, the metal material is melted with the help of a kind of high-pressure gas and cut with the blowing method.
- Vaporization Cutting: In this method, the surface is heated up to the boiling point which creates a hole where it is applied. By heating and cooling fastly, the hole is widened. This way laser cutting is accomplished. It is generally used to cut wood and thermoset plastic materials.
- Thermal Stress Cracking: This laser cutting method is generally used for partial heating and thermal expansion. It is generally used for cutting gentle materials such as glass.
- Reactive Cutting: It is a method that oxygen is used. Also known as flame cutting. Very effective for very hard materials such as carbon steel.
- Stealth Dicing of Silicon Wafers: Silicium type fluidity method is applied by using micro-electric chips. It is a pulsed cutting method.
How is CNC Laser Cutting Made?
When CNC laser cutting is done, the workpiece (metal sheet, wood, etc.) placed in the CNC laser cutting machine is cut using codes. In this method, where a perfect mold technique is used, laser cutting machines work with a control mechanism. Laser cutting is a burning process. The metals whose edges are melted by burning under high heat and pressure are brought into the desired molds.
A laser cutting machine is a prototyping and manufacturing tool primarily used by engineers, designers, and craft professionals to cut and engrave flat material. The laser cutting machine uses a thin, focused laser beam to cut and punch patterns and geometries set by the designers.
Laser cutting machines are really useful tools when it comes to prototyping and manufacturing; They are used in industrial-scale machine shops to cut large pieces of material, are used by hardware companies to create inexpensive, rapid prototypes, and can be used by makers and crafters to use their digital designs as a DIY fabrication tool.
CNC laser cutting process performs works that human power cannot do in a very short time. If you want to invest in this perfect production technology with industrial laser cutting machines, all you have to do is contact Aktif Lazer.
What are the Types of CNC Laser Cutting Machines?
The difference between CNC laser cutting machines is due to the types of lasers the machines have. The type of laser defines what type and thickness of material it can cut, as different types of lasers have different power ranges. Generally, on an industrial scale, higher-power lasers are used to cut large sections of sheet metal or plastic, while lower-power lasers are used for a wide variety of thinner, more potentially flammable materials such as paper and cardboard, wood, and some plastics. I will cover the main types of laser cutting machines and the important adjustments made with the laser.
There are three main types of lasers used in laser cutting machines; CO2 lasers, fiber lasers, and neodymium lasers. Although laser cutting machines are all made very similarly, each type of laser has a specific power range and therefore each can be used to cut different types of materials and thicknesses.
CNC Laser cutting machines use melting, evaporation, thermal stretching, reactive cutting, and silicon cutting techniques.
- CO2 Laser Cutting Machines: The laser is produced from electrically excited gas mixtures (mostly carbon dioxide). These CO2 lasers are the most common laser cutters because they are low-power, relatively inexpensive, efficient, and can both cut and scan a wide variety of materials.
Materials Cut by CO2 Lasers: wood, paper-based products (cardboard, etc.), leather, acrylic, glass, some plastics, and some foams
- Neodymium Laser Cutting Machines: Laser consists of neodymium-doped crystals. These lasers have a much smaller wavelength than CO2 lasers, meaning they have a much higher density and can therefore cut much thicker, stronger materials. However, because they are of very high power, parts of the machine wear out and must be replaced.
Materials Neodymium Lasers Cut: metals, plastics, and some ceramics
- Fiber Lasers: It is a laser cutting machine powered by special glass fibers. Fiber Lasers have an intensity and wavelength similar to that of neodymium lasers but require less maintenance due to the way they are produced. These are mostly used for laser marking operations.
Materials that Fiber Lasers Cut: metals and plastics
What are the Advantages of Laser Cutting?
10 Advantages of CNC Laser Cutting
- Mass production
- Perfect Production
- Decreased Need for Manpower
- Low Cost in Production
- Smooth Surface Quality
- A Sustainable Production Technology
- Working Capacity for 24 Hours
- Minimizing Production Cost
- Working Together with Automation Technology
As you can see, CNC Laser cutting is an excellent mass production technology that you can use for all your needs. If you want to get more information about CNC Laser cutting prices, you can contact us.
Benefits of Laser Cutting
- Very sensitive working that no human can do,
- Less need for human labor,
- Very fast and perfect results with mass production, which leads to less cost,
- 24 hours working capability without any pause,
- Very few material (minimum) loss at production,
- Improving automation technologies,
- Full-scale and sensitive cutting,
- Manufacturing the final product which is ready for mounting,
- The capability of using different designs,
- Smooth and burr-free products,
- No harm to the material during production,
- The capability of stamping brand or name on the sheet,
- No mold cost,
- Environment friendly,
- A very sensitive process with an error rate of +/- 0,1 mm which helps you to provide your hardest needs. Also, this sensitivity guarantees the highest quality.
If you need laser cut for your production, the only thing you should do is to contact us, Aktif Lazer, a laser cutting and bending company, for the top-quality process.
Laser Cutting Near Me
Aktif Lazer, serving all over Europe with the fastest distribution network, is the closest laser cutting company to you. For the best laser cutting designs, we are here to give the best services to you.